The question on social media is: Who exactly is to blame in Acrimony? Melinda? Robert? Melinda's family?
“Hell hath no fury,” reads a tagline on a poster for the film which currently has a 21% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. "Acrimony" is one of those films; bashed by critics, embraced by the audience, at least, on social media.
The psychological thriller tells the story of Melinda Moore, a faithful and hardworking wife who supports her husband, Robert, an engineer and dreamer pushing a launch of his invention. However, their marriage ends just before he hits it big with the rechargeable battery he spent decades inventing.
1. Before their wedding, Melinda had caught Robert cheating on her with a random girl, Diana Wells. Enraged, she drives her car into their trailer. The accident leads to a hysterectomy.
2. He apologizes and despite her sisters' objections, she forgives him and they get married. Years later, Melinda works to support them, as Robert being a felon, is unable to find work. Robert convinces Melinda to mortgage the house so he can build a new prototype for his battery.
3. 20 years later, Diana is back in the picture and is working for Prescott, an investor. So she arranges a meeting between Robert and Prescott.
4. Robert is offered $800,000 to sell his work, but he wants to license the technology to them instead, so the deal doesn't go through.
5. Meanwhile, Melinda's sisters tell her that Robert is cheating on her after they found Diana’s wallet in his truck. Back at home, Melinda is angry at him for 'cheating' and refusing to accept Prescott's offer. She wants a divorce.
6. After the divorce, she loses the house, moves in with her sister, and starts dating her ex-boyfriend, Devon. While Diana invites Robert, who is living in a shelter, to stay with her.
7. Prescott reconsiders and offers Robert a multimillion-dollar deal, while allowing him to keep intellectual ownership of his invention.
8. Robert pays Melinda a visit at work with flowers. He thanks her for her support, tells her they would never get back together, and to show gratitude, gives her $10 million dollars and buys her home back.
9. Melinda is angry and blames her family for leading her astray. When she goes to Robert’s new penthouse to seduce him, Diana walks in and introduces herself as Robert’s fiancé.
10.That was the beginning of Melinda's anger, hurt and obsession with the couple. At this point, her anger is legendary.
She does things like suing them, disfiguring their photos and destroying Diana's wedding gown. The couple file a countersuit against her for her threats and obtain restraining orders.
After several attempts to separate them and exact revenge, Melinda dies while trying to hit Robert with an ax during his honeymoon cruise.
According to Perry, the trending film has gone up to number one on rentals and downloads. Via an Instagram post, he said he is happy that the film has opened up conversations about 'healing anger, betrayal, and moving on or literately drowning in your own pain.'
How cool is this?! Acrimony was trending and went to #1 on rentals and downloads. I love the conversation that it#emo#4oCZ##s opened up about healing anger, betrayal, and moving on or literarily drowning in your own pain. It#emo#4oCZ##s also about perspective. You watched the story. Who do you think was right and who do you think was wrong? I have my opinions but I wanted the audience members to be the therapist and make their own choice. That#emo#4oCZ##s why you don#emo#4oCZ##t see her in the film.
Released in March, "Acrimony" stars Taraji P. Henson, Ajiona Alexus, Lyriq Bent, Antonio Madison, Crystle Stewart ,Danielle Nicolet , Jay Hunter and Terayle Hill.