President Buhari should remember that leadership is pure and simply the ability to translate vision to reality.
The Senator who always wants to make common sense, Ben Murray Bruce has offered some common sense advice to President Buhari.
He congratulated the President for nominating capable hands into his cabinet.
Here are the seven things Ben Murray Bruce told the President.
1. Each of them (ministers), no matter what portfolio they are eventually given, must see their job as complementing each other as part of a complementary team and not as competing with each other as individual runners in a race.
2. President Buhari must live out the adage he articulated during his Independence Day broadcast when he said that “order is more vital than speed”.
3. Your ministers would be in a hurry to impress you. Many of them who themselves have presidential or gubernatorial ambitions would be in a hurry to impress Nigerians. As such, they may bind the government by making wild but popular promises in order to ingratiate themselves into the good books of the President and the public. But such behaviour is counter-productive because though the windmills of government surely, they also grind slowly. Very slowly.
4. Buhari should be tolerant to his ministers and ensure that he talks to them or with them but never at them.
5. If any minister habitually comes to him (Buhari) with juicy gossip on other team members (as would undoubtedly happen), he should save his administration by showing such a one the door. As soon as he does that, all other ministers will fall in line!
6. President Buhari should remember that leadership is pure and simply the ability to translate vision to reality.
7. I sincerely advise him to value his ministers because cabinet members work for the vision of a president that values them and sabotage the agenda of presidents that they feel do not value them.