Meanwhile, the board and its agencies are putting out all advocacy and public awareness tools and platforms within our reach to educate and sensitise the populace on the virus.
Following the outbreak of Lassa fever in the country, Abuja Environmental Protection Board (AEPB), has called on residents of Federal Capital Territory not to be afraid but to be vigilant.
The advice is contained in a statement issued by the Head of Information and Publicity of the board, Mr Joe Ukairo, in Abuja on Monday.
The board urged the residents to avoid contact with rodents.
The board said Lassa fever is caused by Lassa fever virus which lives in a specie of rodents called "Mastomys natalensis’’.
"The virus is shed in their excreta (urine and faeces). Humans are infected through exposure to rodents’ excrement by contact, ingestion or inhalation of tiny particles of infectious material.’’
The board urged homes, schools, hospitals and other public places to adopt adequate preventive and mitigation measures for timely and efficient control of the outbreak.
It assured residents that the administration through its collaboration with relevant agencies and departments would ensure that the disease was prevented adequately.
"Meanwhile, the board and its agencies are putting out all advocacy and public awareness tools and platforms within our reach to educate and sensitise the populace on the virus.
"A plan for city wide fumigation to control rodents’ population is underway, ‘’ it said.
It advised the residents to ensure that their environments were clean and to stop dumping waste on the ground to avoid attracting rats into their premises.
The board also advised residents to avoid contact between rats and human beings and ensure that they observed proper hand washing regularly.
"Medical and health workers must observe known protocols to mitigate the spread of the virus.
"Residents should store their waste appropriately in a waste bin with suitable cover to avoid rat intrusion, empty kitchen waste bins each night and make their home not conducive for rodents.
"They should also ensure that their food items, grains and water are properly covered; wash thoroughly canned, packaged or bottled food and water before using them.
"People should cook food thoroughly before consuming it, ’’ the board said.
It also advised residents to improve on personal hygiene and environmental sanitation for proper prevention of the disease.