A social networking site is a platform put together for the purpose of interaction, sharing ideas, propagation of beliefs and lots more.As individuals, we get carried away with the desire to join the “latest” social network sites as we get wind of them. You do not need to be on every social networking site on the globe. Each of these sites have been structured or rather created with a purpose, and the purpose determines their functionality.
How to build an attractive personal brand using social networking sites
Personal branding is a myth to some people. But believe it or not, from the cradle till this stage, you have consciously or unconsciously branded your personality.
So it is left for you as an individual to sign-up with one that will give you an avenue to express yourself creatively, create an “online identity” and build a consistent personal brand.
It will interest you to know that some employers have resorted to checking out their prospective employees’ profile on the internet. Interestingly, your social networking activities and profile(s) will speak in your absence.
Here are some tips that will be helpful to you.
1. KNOW THE NICHE: Every social networking site seeks to reach a particular set of people, or is structured in a way that it can serve multiple niches. Knowing the niche will help you say YES or NO when a new sign-up invitation comes “knocking” in your mail box.
2. BE CONSISTENT: Consistency is vital if you want to build your personal brand using social networking sites. Consistency here, means sending the same message of your person on all your profile pages and not how frequently you use the page. Some people portray themselves as different personalities on each of their pages, hence leaving their visitors with a confused view or undecided perception of their personality.
3. MAKE IT SIMPLE: When writing your profile, make it short and simple. Refrain from using words or expressions that will make people feel you are “all about yourself” It is a major turn off. Your profile speaks for you when you are not there.
4. SIGN-UP ON TOP NOTCH SITES: Top notch sites are sites that Google itself reveres. You can search for “web 2.0 sites” or “top social networking sites” on google.com, and sign-up with the ones that suit you. This move will boost your online profile because your activities from these sites show up when your name comes up on the internet.
5. USE DECENT PROFILE PICTURES: 1 picture speaks greater than 1 million words.
6. Summarise your profile on about.me
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: