Pulse.ng logo
Go

Hajj Stampede Sanusi wants details of victims published on internet

"At this age of technology, why can't the Saudi authorities put the photos of the deceased on a website so that people can identify them easily without having to be moved from one hospital or place to another.

  • Published:
Mina stampede: Sanusi wants details of victims published on internet play

Mina stampede: Sanusi wants details of victims published on internet

(Today)

The Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi II, on Wednesday urged Saudi Authorities to publish details of victims of last Thursday's Mina stampede on a dedicated website.

More than 749 pilgrims died and 805 injured at the stampede on the way to the Jamrat complex (stoning site) in Mina, Mecca.

Sixty-Four Nigerians were confirmed dead; 71 injured during the incident; while 244 were declared missing by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON).

Sanusi, who is the leader of the Nigeria Central Coordinating Team for this year’s Hajj, made the call at the post-Arafat meeting organised by (NAHCON) in Jeddah.

"At this age of technology, why can't the Saudi authorities put the photos of the deceased on a website so that people can identify them easily without having to be moved from one hospital or place to another.

"We have to demand for it," Sanusi stressed.

The Leader, Medical Team of NAHCON, Dr Ibrahim Kana, had earlier said that 1,180 bodies had been identified so far through frontal and lateral face photographs and finger prints.

He, however, lamented that only 150 corpses had been buried so far by Saudi Authorities.

Kana said of the 1,180 bodies identified, 64 were Nigerians, adding that 71 Nigerians had sustained injuries during the incident.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.