416 night accidents occur in 8 months, 97 die in Lagos — FRSC

The Lagos Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Mr Olusegun Ogungbemide, said on Monday that the agency’s records indicated that 416 accidents occurred in eight months during night driving.

From L-R The Deputy Corps Commander, Operations, Lucas Oguntade, Lagos Corps Commander, Olusegun Ogungbemide, Deputy Corps Commander, Admin. Human Resources, Deputy Corps Commander, Azubuike Onyemeh, Route Commander, Public, Education Officer, Olabisi Sonusi. Assist. Route Commander, Ese Ebhuomg, during a media briefing in Lagos on Monday.

Ogungbemide spoke during a media conference held in Lagos on Monday.

The conference came following the increasing rate of Road Traffic Crashes due to recklessness and other factors on the part of drivers.

He said that the 416 crashes were recorded between 6.00 p.m to 6.00 a.m from January to August

The official said there was the need for motorists to take caution while planning their journeys in the night.

He said: “Our crash reports within the period show that a total of 416 crashes were recorded, in which 705 people were involved.

“Out of the 705 people involved in various crashes within the period under review, 558 were seriously injured and 97 lost their lives.

“The Federal Road Safety under the leadership of Acting Corps Marshal, Dauda Biu, will continue demonstrating its commitment to mitigating rate and fatalities of road traffic crashes.”

Ogungbemide said the corps had already enunciated the policy of discouraging night travel through public sensitisation programmes.

The commander said that the civil approach to discourage night travel was based on the need to raise public awareness on hazards faced when crash occurs during the period.

He said that law enforcers could not be everywhere and it was imperative for motorists to have self regulation in addressing safety and security challenges.

Ogungbemide said the FRSC could not specify what time individuals could make journeys to their destination, as that was exclusively a human right case.

He said that the record of crashes had raised alarm that more needs to be done in reaching the critical audience and achieving the goals.

Ogungbemide said the FRSC also faced challenges with rescue operations at night.

He said that possibility of victims accessing proper medical attention could be lower at such period due to various factors.

The corps commander commended the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and other enforcement agencies for their collaboration.

He said that this helped the command in achieving its mandate.

Ogungbemide commended the media for the propagation of road safety messages.

He said that the corps had to align with the United Nations General Assembly’s appeals on the actions against the menace.

Ogungbemide urged institutions, individuals and organisations to join the road safety lead agency in actualising the goal.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

Ebonyi doesn't observe weekly 'sit-at-home' and it has helped – NSCDC

Ebonyi doesn't observe weekly 'sit-at-home' and it has helped – NSCDC

ASUU strike: Nasarawa University directs students to return to school

ASUU strike: Nasarawa University directs students to return to school

Fire Service recovers 2 bodies from Ilorin river

Fire Service recovers 2 bodies from Ilorin river

Google celebrates Nigeria’s Independence day with a doodle

Google celebrates Nigeria’s Independence day with a doodle

Independence Day: Akeredolu pardons 16 inmates

Independence Day: Akeredolu pardons 16 inmates

Borno holds first Independence parade in 12 years of insurgency

Borno holds first Independence parade in 12 years of insurgency

Asaba agog as Obi supporters take over major roads

Asaba agog as Obi supporters take over major roads

Police arrest suspected ‘one chance’ syndicate in Lagos

Police arrest suspected ‘one chance’ syndicate in Lagos

Nigeria @62: Jonathan, Osinbajo, others join Buhari to mark anniversary

Nigeria @62: Jonathan, Osinbajo, others join Buhari to mark anniversary

Get our Top Stories delivered to your inbox

Welcome to the Pulse Community! We will now be sending you a daily newsletter on news, entertainment and more. Also join us across all of our other channels - we love to be connected!