ADVERTISEMENT

Missing Nigerian girls identified in new video as calls renew to find them

Nigerian schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram exactly two years ago have been identified in a new video, hence, renewing global calls for efforts to find them.

Bring Back Our Girls group marches to Presidential Villa on April 14, 2016

A video obtained by U.S. network CNN was shown to three mothers of girls abducted two years ago from Chibok in northeast Nigeria in the first possible sighting of the girls since a video of them in captivity was released in May 2014.

Boko Haram militants abducted 276 schoolgirls from Chibok on April 14, 2014, of which 57 escaped but 219 are still missing despite a global campaign #bringbackourgirls involving celebrities and U.S. first lady Michelle Obama.

About 15 girls featured in the new video, saying they were from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok and pleading with the Nigerian government to cooperate with Boko Haram on their release.

The girls said they were being treated well but wanted to go home and be with their families.

ADVERTISEMENT

Rifkatu Ayuba and Mary Ishaya said they recognised their daughters, Saratu and Hauwa, in the video, while a third mother, Yana Galang, identified five of the missing girls.

"The girls were looking very, very well," Galang said in a telephone interview with the Thomson Reuters Foundation after a screening of the video in Maiduguri in northeast Nigeria.

A CNN spokesman said the network had obtained the video from a source "close to the negotiations" after it was sent to negotiators by their captors as "proof of life".

He said it appeared to have been shot on December 25 last year because the girls say so in the video and the metadata also indicated this.

Various false leads have raised hopes of finding the girls over the past two years but their whereabouts remains unknown.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.
ADVERTISEMENT

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

FG bans single-use plastics in federal MDAs

FG bans single-use plastics in federal MDAs

Gbenga Daniel wants more people from Southwest to join military

Gbenga Daniel wants more people from Southwest to join military

Tinubu told to sack NPA boss despite being cleared by NASS

Tinubu told to sack NPA boss despite being cleared by NASS

Kenya's Parliament in flames as protesters storm; bodies seen after police fire

Kenya's Parliament in flames as protesters storm; bodies seen after police fire

Ameachi accused of opposing Tinubu's 'Renewed Hope' agenda

Ameachi accused of opposing Tinubu's 'Renewed Hope' agenda

Sokoto Assembly denies plan to dethrone Sultan of Sokoto

Sokoto Assembly denies plan to dethrone Sultan of Sokoto

Akpabio denies promising to buy new aircrafts for Tinubu, Shettima

Akpabio denies promising to buy new aircrafts for Tinubu, Shettima

5 Ghanaian MPs narrowly escape attack in Kenya as protesters break into Parliament

5 Ghanaian MPs narrowly escape attack in Kenya as protesters break into Parliament

Chaos at Assemblies of God Church as members protest induction of new pastor

Chaos at Assemblies of God Church as members protest induction of new pastor

Pulse Sports

African Championships: Ese Brume wins Nigeria's third GOLD as 400m sensations Ogazi and Joseph cop bronze medals

African Championships: Ese Brume wins Nigeria's third GOLD as 400m sensations Ogazi and Joseph cop bronze medals

‘I don't care who you are’ - AFCON winner hits out at Osimhen after social media rant about Finidi

‘I don't care who you are’ - AFCON winner hits out at Osimhen after social media rant about Finidi

‘Respect’- Super Eagles star Victor Boniface pays homage to Obafemi Martins

‘Respect’- Super Eagles star Victor Boniface pays homage to Obafemi Martins

PulseSports30: Olayinka, Dessers, Moffi crack top ten

PulseSports30: Olayinka, Dessers, Moffi crack top ten

PulseSports30: Okoye back among the best as Olawoyin finishes ahead of Tella

PulseSports30: Okoye back among the best as Olawoyin finishes ahead of Tella

Finidi George responds to accusation made by Victor Osimhen in viral video

Finidi George responds to accusation made by Victor Osimhen in viral video

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT