5 things Buhari discussed with US Secretary of State
Here are 5 things Buhari discussed with US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
Both men discussed bilateral relations between Nigeria and the United States; among other subjects of international importance.
Here’s a summary of what was discussed between Tillerson and Buhari
1. The fate of the kidnapped girls of Dapchi and Chibok was on the agenda.
Buhari told the American diplomat that his administration prefers negotiating with terrorists as opposed to brute military force, in order to cut out civilian casualties.
“We are trying to be careful. It is better to get our daughters back alive,” Buhari said.
2. Buhari told Tillerson that he’ll embark on a trip to Yobe where Boko Haram recently abducted 110 schoolgirls from their hostel.
3. Buhari also promised to visit States where gunmen have been wreaking havoc.
4. The president pledged free and fair polls in 2019.
Buhari recalled that former American Secretary of State, John Kerry, had visited Nigeria before the 2015 polls, “and he told the party in government then, and those of us in opposition, to behave ourselves, and we did.”
5. The Nigerian president thanked America for its assistance in the fight against insurgency. He also pleaded for more assistance as Nigeria continues to battle the insurgents.
“Nigerian forces are good, but need assistance in the areas of training and equipment”, Buhari pleaded.
In his response, Tillerson told Buhari that: “You have our support in your challenges. We will also support opportunities to expand the economy, commercial investments, and peaceful polls in 2019".
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: