The South Korean ministry has said a man with terminal lung cancer who had been infected with the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) virus has died.

In a statement, the health ministry said the 65-year-old man, diagnosed with MERS on June 7, had been hospitalized in the same ward as another patient later diagnosed with the deadly disease.

Meanwhile, as panic over the virus continues to spread in South Korea, over 2,500 schools across the country have been closed, although the health ministry is considering re-opening them.

Also, the total number of cases has risen to 122 and over 2,800 people have been quarantined.