2015 was filled with a lot of good and great stories. It however had it's share of controversial news stories. As part of our yearly round up, Pulse has listed the top ten celebrity controversies of 2015.
The Top 10 Nigerian celebrity controversies of the year
These were the stories that made us jump, scream or shake our heads when we read them. Enjoy the Top 10 Nigerian celebrity controversies of 2015.
These were the stories that made us jump, scream or shake our heads when we read them. Dig in and see how 2015 fared in terms of controversies.
1) TOKE MAKINWA's husband MAJE AYIDA allegedly impregnates longtime lover - This was the hands down the biggest controversy of 2015 in the entertainment business. Toke Makinwa's marriage took a huge dent when it was reported that her husband Maje Ayida had put his longtime over Anita Solomon in the family way. The scandal trended for weeks. The news was such a big deal because of Toke's no-nonsense feminist stand on relationship and marital issues. It was shocking to see the relationship expert suffer marriage deep troubles. Definitely the biggest story about infidelity in 2015.
2) 2FACE caught kissing baby mama PERO ADENIYI - This was the most read Nigeria celeb story of 2015 on Pulse, and it sure ranks high in the controversy list also. 2face grabbed headlines in an ugly way when he was pictured kissing one of his baby mamas Pero Adeniyi in a nightclub in Lagos. Someone tipped Annie Idibia about the incident and she stormed the club that night. Thankfully a fight didn't ensue but the story tainted 2face's good hubby image slightly for a while.
3) TOYIN AIMAKHU & ADENIYI JOHNSON's marriage split - Another celebrity marriage sadly bit the dust in 2015. After briefly separating and reuniting in 2014, actors Toyin Aimakhu and Adeniyi Johnson called it quits in 2015. Toyin Aimakhu moved from her matrimonial home after she caught Adeniyi Johnson flirting on phone with one of her workers. Right now it seems both parties have moved on, and an official divorce is looming in 2016.
4) SKIIBII's death & resurrection - Some will call it the biggest PR stunt in the entertainment industry in 2015. When Skiibii was proclaimed dead by a couple of his label mates, the industry felt sad about the upcoming artiste passing away before his prime. Things turned crazy when some hours later the 5 Star Music act was said to be alive, and recovering in a hospital in Lagos. No one knew what to believe, a true near death experience or a distasteful stunt? Whatever it was, 5 Star Music felt the backlash and had to go on a promo run so as to cool down the incident. Skiibii is presently hale and hearty.
5) UBI FRANKLIN & EMMA NYRA'S ugly public split - Triple MG CEO Ubi Franklin, and singer Emma Nyra had a messy split in 2015. The label boss and his artiste had been dating since 2013 and called it quits late 2014. After their split Emma Nyra came out to say she was abused by Ubi Franklin during their relationship. The label boss fired back by saying she was sleeping around with certain Nigerian singers. The back and forth continued for a while and it was quite ugly. It nearly affected Ubi's relationship with his now wife Lilian Esoro.
6) FREEZE accusing ex-wife of domestic violence - For anyone who cared to notice Cool FM on-air-personality was on a bashing spree in 2015. The veteran radio presenter took his issues with his former wife and mother of children on Instagram. He called her an irresponsible woman, and a violent woman. He then shared photos of bruises and cuts he allegedly suffered from his ex wife. He also called her an adulterer which she denied. Now Freeze is currently engaged.
7) JIDENNA's kidnapping comments - Igbo-American singer Jidenna was one of the breakout stars of 2015. His song Classic Man' was a summer anthem, and the fact that he didn't shy away from his Nigerian roots endeared him to Nigerians. Unfortunately a crack came in the relationship when Jidenna granted an interview saying light skin people were more prone to being kidnapped in Nigeria. He also said light skin was a symbol of wealth. Jidenna trended for a weekend and Nigerians didn't take it easy on him. He later had to issue a press release clarifying his statement.
8) DENRELE's Caitlyn Jenner moment - Bruce Jenner transforming to Caitlyn Jenner was one of the highlights of 2015. Our very own Denrele Edun who isn't shy of controversy jumped in on the sex change trend by sharing pictures of him posing very much like a woman. He was topless, wore female denim pants and high heels. His pictures were controversial and Nigerians did not hold back in blasting the eccentric media celeb.
9) EMEKA IKE's marriage troubles - Veteran Nollywood actor Emeka Ike entered the news when his filed for divorce claiming that he constantly physically abused her. She shared more stories of how the actor had separated her from her children, and is not allowing her to see them. Emeka Ike denied these claims and said he just wants his wife back home. Their divorce proceeding hasn't been settled yet.
10) BURNA BOY assaulting driver in Lekki - Of course Burna Boy had to be on the list, not for brandishing guns on Instagram or smoking weed on SnapChat but for his encounter with a driver on Lekki. According to reports, Burna Boy's vehicle hit a car on Lekki expressway. Burna and his guest AKA immediately got down and entered another can in his convoy. Burna Boy's entourage stayed back and assaulted the driver. Controversial as always.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: