Here are a few tips on how to save money when booking a flight online:
Save money when booking a flight online
Deciding when to book a flight can be quite a nerve-wracking task when you’re looking to get the best prices. Whether it's navigating seasonal tickets or trying your luck at a last minute deal, choosing the cheapest flights is rarely a pleasant process.
1. Although it is commonly known that the earlier you book your flight, the cheaper it will be, there are often exceptions to this rule. With so many airlines competing for loyal customers, it may be a good idea not to book a flight more than three months in advance unless there is a deal that you know is unbeatable.
2. Avoid flying on weekends. You might be able to save yourself quite a lot of money if you’re able to avoid the rush and take a midweek flight. Flights are most often the least popular on Tuesdays and Wednesdays (unless of course these days fall on public holidays).
3. Compare your flights. Even though this might seem like a very time consuming activity, it is always helpful to compare flight prices between airlines. You may be surprised at the deals and specials that smaller airlines have to offer. Many websites offer flight comparison tools, which can be used for free.
4. Sign up for airlines’ newsletters. In an attempt to gain a loyal customer base, most airlines offer subscription based alerts that are sent out whenever there is a deal or special on any of their flight fares. Signing up to these alerts will keep you informed on the cheapest flights while saving you the time of having to search for them online.
5. The best way to save money is to be flexible with your departure and return dates. Leaving a window of dates optional for your flights could save you up to half of your flight fare. Statistics have shown that Tuesday and Wednesday are the cheapest travel dates on average.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: