Six people have reportedly died after eating a meal of Abacha, a local African salad delicacy in Lagos State.
The warning became necessary after six people were confirmed dead after eating 'Abacha' salad, a local delicacy which is a mixture of cassava, palm oil, garden egg, onions, pepper, and other garnishing.
The victims were said to have contracted the Ogawa strain of Vibrio Cholera after taking the meal and died a few days later, while 45 other cases were also discovered by the Ministry's Epidemiology Unit.
The incident reportedly occurred in some communities in the Isolo Local Community Development Area (LCDA), while some Abacha vendors in the area have been arrested.
The State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, while addressing journalists on the outbreak of the disease, said a team of epidemiologists was led to the source of water used in preparing the Abacha, following reports that the victims suffered from acute diarrhea after the meal.
According to Idris, samples of the Abacha and water from two wells were collected and sent to the Lagos State Drug Quality Control Laboratory for analysis and the result showed the presence of Vibrio Cholera, Salmonella species and E.coli in the Abacha and one of the well water samples.
The Commissioner, therefore, cautioned the public against eating Abacha that they did not prepare, adding that the risk of contracting cholera is increased by poor water and environmental sanitation, including open defecation.