ADVERTISEMENT

Tech giant apologizes for Galaxy Note phones in US ads

The huge South Korean manufacturer was forced to recall some 2.5 million of the flagship Note 7s following complaints that its lithium-ion battery exploded.

After a month-long recall nightmare, Samsung announced on October 11, 2016, it is scrapping production and halting all future sales of it Galaxy Note 7 smartphone

Samsung took out advertisements Monday in major US newspapers to apologize for the Galaxy Note 7 scandal in which fire-prone batteries forced a global recall of the popular smartphones.

The full-page ads in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and Washington Post admitted the company "fell short" on its promise of delivering "breakthrough technologies that enrich people's lives."

"For this we are truly sorry," the company said.

It promised a full and open investigation into the Galaxy debacle.

ADVERTISEMENT

The huge South Korean manufacturer was forced to recall some 2.5 million of the flagship Note 7s following complaints that its lithium-ion battery exploded while charging -- and at other times.

The company also had to recall the first replacements it sent out to consumers after they proved just as dangerous.

"We will re-examine every aspect of the device, including hardware, software, manufacturing and the overall battery structure. We will move as quickly as possible, but will take the time needed to get the right answers."

The ads also noted the recall that Samsung announced last week for nearly three million clothes washers to fix the tops, which could become loose and fly off while the machine is running.

"Safety remains our top priority," the company said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The smartphone problem resulted in a 30 percent plunge in Samsung's third quarter profits and appeared to boost phone sales for rival Apple.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.
ADVERTISEMENT

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

FG wants Sultan, CAN president to join fight against cybercrime among youths

FG wants Sultan, CAN president to join fight against cybercrime among youths

Tinubu secured $20bn investment to revolutionise agriculture, economy – Shettima

Tinubu secured $20bn investment to revolutionise agriculture, economy – Shettima

FG begins construction on Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway sections 3, 4 – Umahi

FG begins construction on Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway sections 3, 4 – Umahi

Tinubu making efforts to reduce cost of living, enrich citizens – FG

Tinubu making efforts to reduce cost of living, enrich citizens – FG

FCT residents can now sleep with their two eyes closed, Wike boasts

FCT residents can now sleep with their two eyes closed, Wike boasts

Wike vows to crack down on FCT touts who harass motorists because of levy

Wike vows to crack down on FCT touts who harass motorists because of levy

Nigeria needs ₦35 billion to restart Ajaokuta Light Steel section

Nigeria needs ₦35 billion to restart Ajaokuta Light Steel section

Court orders NCoS to take ailing Binance executive, Gambaryan to hospital

Court orders NCoS to take ailing Binance executive, Gambaryan to hospital

FG launches construction of 500 housing units in Kano

FG launches construction of 500 housing units in Kano

Pulse Sports

Tobi Amusan second, Brume Ese picks Olympics ticket, and other Nigerians excel at Atlanta City Games

Tobi Amusan second, Brume Ese picks Olympics ticket, and other Nigerians excel at Atlanta City Games

Caicedo, Kudus or Garnacho: Who should win EPL goal of the season?

Caicedo, Kudus or Garnacho: Who should win EPL goal of the season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT