A number of civilians are said to have died during a gun battle between Boko Haram and troops when the terrorists attempted to overrun Maiduguri, Borno state capital on the evening of the 27 of December 2015.
Many feared dead in Maiduguri attack
A ban on vehicle movement within the metropolis had been placed from Thursday evening to Sunday morning to make sure possible attacks during the Christmas celebration are averted.
At 6pm on the 27, the insurgents were said to have driven to the capital city in three vehicles, attacking the High Court area of the city and specifically shooting at civilians as they ran for their lives. They were reported to have launched grenades into the city thereafter.
It was reported that they had earlier attacked the Molai area before proceeding into Jidari Polo area through old Molai road in Maiduguri for further attacks.
A resident said “We were confused, as I am speaking with you, our doors are opened. We didn’t remember to close it as a result of loud explosions, many people were killed because of the shooting”
With directives from President Muhammadu Buhari to end terrorism before the end of the year, counter terrorism operations continue in the north-east to contain the activities of terrorist group.
Mr Lai Mohammed, the Minister of Information and Culture, on Wednesday said that the military “has so degraded the capability of Boko Haram and that the terrorist group can no longer carry out spectacular attacks”.
Although he said that attacks on soft target would not end with the deadline, but assured that it will gradually come to an end.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: