A trader who deals in telephone accessories,

Also Read: "Official Rascals: Journalist brutalized by VIO officials for recording fight"

According a human rights group which has stepped into the case with a view to getting justice for Ibrahim, the victim was tortured when he refused to change a phone charger he had sold to one Bala Yayari, an Assistant Superintendent of the Corps, who returned the item several days after purchasing for N1,500 claiming it was faulty.

The 25-year-old victim who has his shop at the Arawa Market in Gombe town narrated that when he refused to agree to the officer’s request for replacement because his shop assistant sold the phone charger had tested it in the presence of Yayari and certified the accessory was okay before the officer left with it.

Narrating his ordeal, Ibrahim said:

“Later, the officer returned with the same charger and asked my assistant to replace it. But my assistant insisted that the charger was functional when the officer bought it.

Then the officer asked for the owner of the shop. They called me on the phone and he asked me to come to the shop immediately or else he would close down the shop.

As soon as I arrived, I saw him and one other officer and they asked me to give them N1,500 or replace the phone charger. I told them I am not aware of the transaction but they should allow me to confirm from my assistant.

After my assistant briefed me about the transaction, I told them that since the device was tested before the officer paid, there was no way we could replace it.

It was at that moment that the two men held me by my waist, dragged and bundled me into their waiting Peugeot 406 car and took me to the Gombe Division of the NSCDC.

At the division, Mr. Yayari directed that the officers on duty to lock me up. Even before I could be taken behind the counter, one of the officials slapped me.

As soon as I was thrown behind the counter, one of them ordered me to remove my shirt. He started flogging me even before I undressed and he continued flogging me until I sustained severe injuries.

The official later brought out scissors and asked me to kneel down and he shaved off the hair on my head as well as my beard. He then ordered me to gather the hairs and put them in my mouth, which I did.

The officers then asked me to hold my ears while still kneeling down. Then they asked me to give them the N1,500.

One of them forced his hand into my pockets and located the money in it. He removed only N1,500 and returned the rest to me.

Finally, they asked me to frog jump out of the premises.”

Abdullahi Ibrahim after the torture

Photo Credit: Premium Times

Also Read: "Official Rascals: LASTMA officials caught on video brutalizing driver"

The victim, who is clamouring for justice, said his family members reported the matter to the police before he was taken to the hospital for treatment.