Goodluck Jonathan Why ex-President, Sambo won’t receive severance pay till 2016

The development also extends to ministers, presidential aides and outgone legislators who just vacated their offices.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

According to reports, former President Goodluck Jonathan and his deputy, Namadi Sambo will have to wait till 2016 to receive their severance pay.

The development also extends to ministers, presidential aides and outgone legislators who just vacated their offices, Punch reports.

The total severance package for all the officials has been put at about N3.24bn by the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission.

The former government workers will reportedly be forced to wait till 2016 for the money because their packages were not accounted for in the 2015 budget.

“You will recall that the 2015 budget was prepared sometime last year and during the budget preparation, the elections had not been held,” an official of the Ministry of Finance said.

“So it would be wrong to include the severance package of political office holders in the budget because as of the time the budget was prepared, these people were still holding political offices,” he added.

“As for those political office holders that are leaving office this year, their severance package would be included in the 2016 budget which would be prepared later in the year,” the source said.

Jonathan and Sambo vacated their offices on Friday, May 29, 2015, when President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo were sworn in.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.