The novel which was released in May this year has continued to garner much praise and was also selected as one of the 10 Best Books of 2013 by the editors of New York Times.
'Americanah' which centres around a young Nigerian lady who sojourns abroad for higher education, leaving her boyfriend behind is Chimamanda's third novel after the equally hugely successful 'Purple Hibiscus' and 'Half of a Yellow Sun'.
Other novels on the BBC list include:
1. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
2. The Good Nurse by Charles Graeber
3. The Book of My Lives by Aleksandar Hemon
4. The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner
5. The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud
6. The Son by Philipp Meyer
7. Sparta by Roxana Robinson
8. Tenth of December by George Saunders
9. The Woman Who Lost Her Soul by Bob Shacochis
10. Mary Coin by Marisa Silver