Pulse.ng logo

Coca-Cola Workers protest death of colleague, shutdown operations

Casual workers in Benin, Edo State, have shut down operations at a Coca-Cola plant following the death of one of their colleagues

  • Published:

Join the "sabi" clique. Don't miss a thing, get the latest updates to fuel your conversation daily

By signing up , you agree to our Privacy Policy and European users agree to the data transfer policy

Thank You! You have successfully subscribed to receive pulse.ng daily newsletter.

All bottling operations at the Coca-Cola plant in Benin came to an abrupt halt on Friday following the death of a casual worker, Jerry Ayo.

His angry colleagues completely shit down operations at the plant located at Eyean in Uhunmwode Local Government Area of Edo State in protest, barricading the gate and starting bonfires.

Joined by relatives of the deceased, the protesters alleged that 21-year old Jerry died of electrocution while at work.

The protesters who prevented other workers from gaining access into the building, vowed to sustain the protest until the company issues a statement on what led to Jerry’s death, because, according to them, they had complained severally about electric leakages at the plant but that the management simply told them to go if they were tired of working.

Jerry was reportedly employed as casual worker at the Coca-Cola plant on the 20 April, 2015.

Jerry left the house healthy and was returned dead, according to an Micheal, an uncle of the deceased.

“His friends told us the production factory has leakages of electricity. They took the boy to their clinic without the consent of the family,” he said.

One of the casual workers who gave his name as Goodluck Osawe, said the deceased did not know that there were electric leakages in the plant, adding that “he was in coma and they did not tell us.”

Head of Public Affairs and Communications of the company, Uzo Odenigbo, who confirmed the death of Jerry in a statement, said the deceased died on the way to the hospital after a seizure while at work.

He convoyed the company’s sympathy to the family and said investigation as to the cause of the incident has commenced.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.