History will not forget Wednesday the 1st of April 2015, not because it is the April Fools Da, but because of the political occurrence of the day.
Academic profile of Jega, the 'Hero of Nigeria's Democracy'
Many are congratulating Muhammadu Buhari and the country, but the real hero is Professor Attahiru Muhammadu Jega who defied all odds to make it come to pass.
It was on this day that Professor Attahiru Muhammadu Jega, chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), officially announced Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressive Congress (APC) as the 2015 Nigerian Presidential elections.
In what is Buhari's fourth attempt on the seat, he polled 15,424,921 votes to beat incumbent, Goodluck Jonathan, who scored 12,853,162.
Many are congratulating Buhari and the country, but the real hero is the man who defied all odds to make it come to pass.
That person is no other than Professor Attahiru Muhammadu Jega, the true 'Hero of Nigeria's Democracy'.
brings you the academic profile of Jega who was born on the 11th of January 1957 in Jega, Kebbi State:
- Jega attended Sabon Gari Town Primary School, Jega between 1963 and 1969
- He proceeded to Government Secondary School, Birnin Kebbi
- After he was admitted into The Ahmadu Bello University Zaria's Bayero University College, Kano in 1974
- In 1979, he graduated with a Second Class Upper Division BSc degree in Political Science
- While working as a teaching assistant at Bayero University, he won a fellowship at Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois in the United States (1981–1984)
- There, he earned a PhD in Political Sciences and returned to the Political Science Department in Bayero University in 1984 as a lecturer
- He was a visiting Research Fellow, Department of Political Science, University of Stockholm, Sweden (1994)
- He became the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission on the 8th of June 2010
Jega is also a former President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: