This oil is key to preparing delicious meals like Ofe Akwu, Banga soup and Black soup.
Basket of palm fruits
1. Wash the palm fruits, place in a pot and cover with water. Boil for about 30 minutes till the husk is tender.
2. Strain the water out of the pot and pour the palm fruits in a mortar in batches.
3. Pound till the husk comes off the seed.
4. Scoop out the pounded fruit in batches and put into a big pan.
5. Add hot water (water that isn't too harsh on your skin) in batches.
6. Gently squeeze the palm fruit juice out of the kernels.
7. Use a colander to sieve out the squeezed juice into a clean pot. If you feel there's still some juice to be squeezed out, add some more clean water and squeeze.
8. Boil the juice in the pot till the water evaporates. What will be left in the pot is your palm oil that can be used for Ofe Akwu, Banga soup, Atama soup, Black soup, etc.