"Lady, 19, may have died from excessive chewing gum" - Inquest

A 19-year-old girl had died due to excessive consumption and swallowing of chewing gum, Mirror UK reports.

Samantha Jenkins, 19, who was a shopworker and hails from South Wales died in a hospital days after having a violent seizure owing to the eruption of the gum in her stomach. Although she died in her mother's arms on the 3rd of June, 2011, a new inquest has heard that she may have died from excessive amounts of chewing gum in her stomach.

It was gathered that doctors found large lumps of chewing gum in her stomach which prevented her body from absorbing the vital minerals it needs.

Before she died, Jenkins was said to have been eating at least 14 sticks of mint flavoured chewing gum daily.

The coroner recorded a narrative verdict. Colin Phillips said: “Sam had normal eating habits but did chew gum to excess. Sam’s death was due to complications arising from convulsions, due to electrolyte imbalance, due to malabsorption. Excessive consumption of chewing gum may have played a role in inducing this lack of minerals and mineral depletion.”

She is survived by her mother, stepfather and five siblings.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

Rita Dominic steps out in style with her partner Fidelis Anosike

Vaginal gas (flatulence): Why women queef during sex and what to do about it

Here are the top 5 longest running Nigerian albums on Billboard's World Music Albums chart

Davido's official photographer, Fortune is reportedly dead

Nigerian protesters insult themselves in New York as Buhari prepares to address UNGA

Cape Verde Vs Nigeria: Time and where to watch Super Eagles' World Cup qualifier

Ladies, here's why you should always pee (urinate) after sex

BBNaija 2021: Saga's sister calls out organizers for exploiting his mental health

BBNaija 2021: Saga camps outside diary room following Nini's exit