Latest reports from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirms 45 persons dead in the building that collapsed in the premises of the Synagogue Church of All Nations last Friday, September 12.
45 People Dead, 130 Rescued As Fashola Visits Tragic Scene
Reports say Government officials claimed there was no approval for the erection of additional floors
The agency also confirmed that 130 persons were rescued alive from the rubble and excavation is going on at the site to recover more bodies that might be buried under the collapse.
Affirming the death toll, NEMA’s Southwest spokesman, Ibrahim Farinloye, said the cause of the collpase was still being investigated.
According to the The Nation, most of the casualties were occupants of the premises who were having lunch at the basement of the building before it came crashing down.
Meanwhile, the Governor of Lagos state, Babatunde Fashola visited the scene yesterday, where he called for an inquiry.
Reports say Government officials claimed there was no approval for the erection of additional floors. The Commissioner for Physical Planning Olutoyin Ayinde, who was on Fashola’s entourage, said the church’s engineers were yet to present their permit to make such modifications.
On whether the government plans to seal the premises, Ayinde said: “There are no plans for that yet until investigation as to the cause of the collapse have been concluded.
The General Manager, Lagos State Building Control Agency, Mrs. Abimbola Animashaun also affirmed that the church had no approval.
It was gathered that the collapsed building, which was a three-storey that had another three added to it, had been vibrating for sometime before it collapsed.
It was also gathered that over 200 people were in the building, most of them having lunch at the basement, while the construction workers were on the sixth floor.
There were many foreigners, according to sources.
Mattresses, clothes and other household items, including air-conditioners, were seen lying in the rubble of the building. Besides, a foul odour oozed out of the site.
Fumigants were being distributed to the workers.
National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Red Cross, medical personnel from the state and federal governments and Lagos State Building Inspection Agency personnel were all at the site as excavation continued.
The workers were on the sixth floor, cutting the rods to create an opening to into other floors.
The Nation gathered that all the 130 people rescued alive and the 45 dead were removed from the sixth floor and the basement, which are the only areas the workers have been able to access.
It was also observed that most of the pillars of the collapsed building were still standing.
Confirming the death toll, NEMA’s Southwest spokesman, Ibrahim Farinloye, said the cause of the collpase was still being investigated.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: