Boko Haram DHQ hands over three cleared suspected terrorists to their states

The defence chief said that the suspects had been investigated and cleared, hence the need to officially hand them over to their state officials.

  • Published:
Nigerian Army play

Nigerian Army

(360nobs)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin, on Friday handed over three cleared Boko Haram Suspects to their states.

The suspects are: Bakura Tijani, Saidu Lawal and Muhammed Umoru from Yobe and Borno ,respectively.

Olonisakin said that the gesture was to further demonstrate the level of adherence and observance of rule of law and transparency by the military in the prosecution of fight against terror in the North-East.

He was represented by the Chief of Administration, DHQ, Rear Adm. Andrew Dacosta.

The defence chief said that the suspects had been investigated and cleared, hence the need to officially hand them over to their state officials.

He noted that such professional conduct had been exhibited by the military in the past, particularly by the Nigerian Army.

"The exercise is a continuous one and as many suspects that are cleared will be released,``he said.

He said that the Armed Forces were committed to the observance of the rule of law, human rights and international best practices.

Olonisakin said that it was in this regard that the DHQ recently initiated the operation SAFE CORRIDOR to de-radicalse, rehabilitate and integrate surrendered Boko Haram members into the society.

e said that the initiative was yielding results as some members of the group were surrendering.

Responding, the representative of the Yobe government, Alhaji Ahmed Gonori, Attorney -General and Commissioner for Justice, said the state was committed to the plight of its citizens.

"The state governor, Alhaji Ibrahim Geidam is committed to the plight of citizens of the state wherever they are," he said.

He said that the state government had constituted a committee to de-radicalise cleared Boko Haram members and reintegrate them into the society.

"We also counsel them using various religious organisations," he said.

Gonori commended the military for the gesture, adding that it had opened a new set of collaboration between the military and the civil authority.

Speaking on behalf of the suspects, Bakura Tijani expressed joy and thanked the military for releasing them.

He also thanked Gov. Gaidam "for remembering us all these years’’.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the suspects had been in detention for two years.

NAN also reports that the suspect from Borno, Muhammed Umoru could not be claimed because of the absence of his state official.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.