- The Consumer Protection Department of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, has released statistics of domestic airline operations and complaints for the first quarter of 2019.
- Checks by Business Insider SSA by Pulse show that out of 14,735 flight operations for the period, 7,926 flights were delayed and 181 flights were cancelled.
- Analysis of the report also shows that more than half of the total flight operations were delayed during the period under review.
- Three airlines - Max Air, Overland and Azman Air recorded lowest figures in terms of flight delays and cancellations in Q1 2019.
Three airlines have emerged as the most reliable airlines in Nigeria with less record on flight delays and cancellations in the last three months.
The aviation industry in Africa's most populous nation is characterised by flight delays, cancellations, missing baggage and overbooking and most times tagged as one of the most unreliable markets in Africa.
This was revealed in the 2019 first-quarter report released by the Consumer Protection Department of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, seen by Business Insider SSA by Pulse.
DON'T MISS: Here are the 10 best African airlines
Analysis of the report:
In the report which captured eight domestic airlines operating in the Nigerian space, more than half of the total flight operations within the period were delayed.
The eights airlines include Aero Contractors, Azman Air, Arik Air, Dana Air, Medview, Overland, Air Peace and Max Air.
Further checks by Business Insider SSA by Pulse showed that out of 14,735 flight operation for the three months, 7,926 were delayed and 181 flights were cancelled.
Captain Muktar Usman, NCCA’s Director-General, in a report last year, admitted that though the figures were alarming, he said no delay or outright cancellation is too much when it concerns the safety of lives.
Overall statistics for the three months:
- Number of flight operation: 5,420
- Delayed flights: 3,348
- Cancelled Flights: 121
- Number of flight operation: 4289
- Delayed flights: 2097
- Cancelled Flights: 46
- Number of flight operation: 5,026
- Delayed flights: 2,481
- Cancelled Flights: 14
Despite negative perception on local flights across Nigeria, three airlines performed exceptionally across local airports with less than 10 flight cancellations and low flight disruption in the period.
The three airlines according to the report include:
1. Max Air
- Flight operations: 1,416
- Flight delay: 810
- Cancellation: 4
- Flight operations: 612
- Flight delay: 421
- Cancellation: 6
3. Azman Air
- Flight operations: 1,301
- Flight delay: 637
- Cancellation: 8