BBOG to sue Buhari led government if it fails to explain the kidnap of 110 schoolgirls in 7-days
BBOG lamented on what it called the carelessness and incompetence of the Nigerian government such that another abduction of schoolgirls repeated itself.
Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG), the campaign group agitating for the release of abducted schoolgirls in Chibok and Dapchi areas of Northern Nigeria, has given the President Muhammadu Buhari led government an ultimatum of seven days or face legal action.
The group’s co-founder, Oby Ezekwesili, told reporters in Abuja, Nigeria that if the administration fails to respond within seven days, BBOG will sue the government for gross negligence that led to the Chibok and Dapchi abductions.
To this end, the campaign group has been hobnobbing with Nigeria's legal luminary and activist, Femi Falana.
In a recent briefing which held on Tuesday, March 13, 2018 in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, the BBOG lamented on what it called the carelessness and incompetence of the Nigerian government such that another abduction of schoolgirls repeated itself four years after the first tragic abduction of 276 girls.
BBOG challenged the President Buhari-led government over how Boko Haram could have staged the attack despite the widely spread information that the military had totally defeated the insurgent group.
The group also alleged that the Dapchi school was unprotected despite a Safe Schools Initiative set up in 2014.
The BBOG alleged further that the military had earlier withdrawn from the town at an unspecified time leaving the schoolgirls to the mercy of their abductors.
The campaign group also asked why the government said in its initial response to the Dapchi incident that there was no evidence of abduction as information provided were found to be false.
“The magnitude of incompetence and carelessness of our government enabled the repeat of the worst abduction tragedy,” said BBOG conveners.
“Our questions are premised on the troubling sparseness of information ... by the federal government,” BBOG said in a statement.
The BBOG is a Nigerian group that sparked a global campaign for the safe return of schoolgirls kidnapped in Chibok in 2014.
Though some of the schoolgirls abducted from Chibok have been freed after what security sources say were ransom payments, but around 100 are still being held.
Islamist militant group Boko Haram took 110 schoolgirls from the northeastern town of Dapchi on February 19, 2018 and under a previous administration, it kidnapped 276 girls from the town of Chibok in 2014.
Statistically, the Boko Haram attacks has consumed 20,000 people since 2009 but the divided terrorist group no longer holds the large tracts of territory that it did in late 2014.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: