What you should know about the only African on Forbes’ 100 most powerful women 2017
Isabel is the richest and most powerful woman in Africa.
According to the list, Isabel is ranked the as 74th most powerful woman due to her vast business and economic power in the Southern African country and Portugal- the former colonial master of Angola.
She is estimated to be worth $3.4 billion as at November 2017 and currently heads the country’s national oil firm, Sonangol.
The source of her wealth is largely from investments in telecoms and banking industry. She occupies 630 on global billionaires list but ranks 8 in Africa.
Others details about Isabel dos Santos are listed below.
1. She became head of Sonangol in June 2016.
2. She owns 25% equity stake in Unitel – Angola’s largest telecommunication company, and 42% in Banco BIC.
3. In Portugal, she owns nearly 6% of oil and gas firm Galp Energia (alongside Portuguese billionaire Americo Amorim).
4. Isabel also has a controlling share in Portuguese cable TV and telecoms firm Nos SGPS.
5. She also holds nearly 19% of Banco BPI, the country’s fourth-largest bank
6. Her wealth started off at $500m in 2012, and accumulates rapidly to its peak of $3.7bn in November 2014.
According to the list, Angela Merkel – the German chancellor Angela Merkel, was ranked the most powerful woman. Theresa May was ranked second and Melinda Gates (of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation).
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: