- Ellen DeGeneres has an estimated net worth of $330 million .
- She loves to spend and make money flipping real estate, although she's said the hobby is more enjoyment than a financial strategy.
- Because she grew up poor, DeGeneres has said she doesn't restrict her money habits.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Comedian Ellen DeGeneres has become a household name since performing stand-up in Louisiana.
After coming out on her hit sitcom, "Ellen," and in Time magazine during the '90s, DeGeneres said she stopped receiving work for several years and began running out of money. But after voicing Dory in "Finding Nemo" and launching her talk show, "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," in the early 2000s, she paved her way back to fame.
Today, DeGeneres has an estimated $330 million net worth , making her one of America's richest self-made women. One of her favorite ways to make and spend money is by flipping real estate with her wife, Portia de Rossi.
DeGeneres' money habits have largely been shaped by her poor upbringing. She's previously said it's why she doesn't financially restrict herself and that it sparked her zeal for real estate. DeGeneres is also known for her philanthropic efforts, giving to both animals and people in need.
Here's how the comedian spends her millions.
- Rihanna is the world's richest female musician from yachting trips on the French Riviera to a staff that includes a chef and personal trainers, see how she spends her $600 million fortune
- A 'Friends' reunion special is officially coming to HBO Max. Here's how Jennifer Aniston, star of the iconic sitcom, makes and spends her $200 million fortune.
- Gucci was the fastest-growing brand of 2019 with a valuation topping $15 billion here are 11 of the most iconic names owned by its parent company, French luxury giant Kering.