Pulse.ng logo
Go

Tragic "Lady, 19, may have died from excessive chewing gum" - Inquest

  • Published:

Join the "sabi" clique. Don't miss a thing, get the latest updates to fuel your conversation daily

By signing up , you agree to our Privacy Policy and European users agree to the data transfer policy



Thank You! You have successfully subscribed to receive pulse.ng daily newsletter.

A 19-year-old girl had died due to excessive consumption and swallowing of chewing gum, Mirror UK reports.

Samantha Jenkins, 19, who was a shopworker and hails from South Wales died in a hospital days after having a violent seizure owing to the eruption of the gum in her stomach. Although she died in her mother's arms on the 3rd of June, 2011, a new inquest has heard that she may have died from excessive amounts of chewing gum in her stomach.

It was gathered that doctors found large lumps of chewing gum in her stomach which prevented her body from absorbing the vital minerals it needs.

Before she died, Jenkins was said to have been eating at least 14 sticks of mint flavoured chewing gum daily.

The coroner recorded a narrative verdict. Colin Phillips said: “Sam had normal eating habits but did chew gum to excess. Sam’s death was due to complications arising from convulsions, due to electrolyte imbalance, due to malabsorption. Excessive consumption of chewing gum may have played a role in inducing this lack of minerals and mineral depletion.”

She is survived by her mother, stepfather and five siblings.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.

X
Advertisement