In Jigawa Fire Service records 35 fire outbreaks in 3 weeks

The state's Director of Fire Service said the outbreaks were recorded in various parts of the state.

  • Published:
Fire service truck and crane play

Fire service truck and crane

24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Jigawa Fire Service on Thursday said it had recorded 35 fire outbreaks in the last three weeks.

The Director of Fire Service, Malam Muhammad Garba, made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), in Dutse.

Garba said the outbreaks were recorded in various parts of the state, adding that  no life was lost in any of the incidents.

He explained that animal feeds, foods and other valuables were destroyed by  the fire.

“We recorded no fewer than 35 fire outbreaks in various parts of the state in the last three weeks the Harmattan set in,

“Fortunately, no life was lost in any of the incidents.”

The director, therefore, warned people in the state against careless use of fire during the harmattan.

According to him, the advice becomes necessary in order to avoid fire disasters during the dry season, as most of the houses particularly in rural communities are thatched and could easily catch fire.

Garba stressed the need for continuous sensitisation and enlightenment of the public on the dangers of harmattan winds.

“People must be careful while using fire, particularly now that the Harmattan season has already set in.

“Fire, particularly during the Harmattan, can escalate and consume valuables, including houses and even human lives, if care is not taken.’’

According to him, housewives must also ensure that they quench the fire they used to cook to avoid any fire outbreak.

He further pointed out that people must also be careful while using candles and lanterns in their homes, as they were capable of igniting fire.

“I want to also use this opportunity to advise people to also be careful when using candles and kerosene lanterns, as they have the capacity to ignite fires.

“More importantly, those using heaters to warm their rooms in the night must quench it before going to bed.

“Also, people should endeavour to switch off electrical appliances before leaving their houses to avoid fire that can happen as a result of power surge’’. 

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.