The president has been advised to not seek a second term in next year's election.
While speaking in an interview on Sahara TV, Yerima said the president should acknowledge the limit of his old age and step down for the younger generation in next year's election.
He said, "He has done his best. There's a limit he can do at this age. He's actually sick. To coordinate even his family activities at this age is challenging, so he needs to rest.
"To me personally, I think the best thing for him to do is bow out and hand over to the younger generation."
During the interview which was posted on Monday, March 19, Yerima also commented on the president's handling of the ongoing herdsmen crisis that has led to the death of hundreds of people across many states.
He said the president's administration has been overwhelmed with more problems than it can solve and described the situation as 'really sad'.
He said, "The situation is really uncalled for. It is a challenging period for the nation, no doubt. Blood shedding everywhere, coupled with the fact that the level of poverty and unemployment rate is getting higher. The challenges are quite overwhelming. If the government was up and doing, the situation would have been averted much earlier than it is today."
While meeting with the Nigerian community in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire in November 2017, the president explained that he was accompanied to the meeting by two state governors because it will "be another vote for me in the future."
Also, while speaking during a two-day visit to Kano State a week later, the president said he's confident of winning reelection particularly due to the crowd turnout.
"I am overwhelmed by the sea of people I see, and by what I see today, if elections are contested I will no doubt win it," he said.
Hours after media reports indicated that Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi had been reappointed as Buhari's national campaign coordinator on January 3, 2018, the Minister of Communication, Adebayo Shittu, told journalists in the State House that the campaign for his reelection has officially taken off in the southwest region.
Motivational speaker and leadership coach, Fela Durotoye, became the second aspirant to officially declare his intention to contest for president after he joined the Alliance for a New Nigeria (ANN) on February 22, 2018. Omoyele Sowore, the publisher of online news platform, Sahara Reporters, declared his intention to run just days later on February 25.
Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose, remains the only other candidate to have officially declared his intention to contest after his announcement in September 2017.
Former governor of Cross River State, Donald Duke, belongs to a growing list of prominent Nigerians who have dropped hints that they may contest in the 2019 presidential elections.
Founder of the Latter Rain Assembly, Pastor Tunde Bakare revealed to his congregation on January 1, 2018, that God wants him to run for president despite his plan to quit politics for good.
Even though President Muhammadu Buhari has refused to officially declare his reelection bid, he is expected to face former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, who is also in contention.