Reverend remanded for allegedly raping his 16-year-old housemaid

A Reverend, Joseph Ma’aji of Barnawa, Kaduna, accused of raping his 16-year-old housemaid, was on Tuesday remanded in the custody of Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) by a Chief Magistrate Court in Kaduna.

Reverend remanded for allegedly raping his 16-year-old housemaid. [Opera]

The Magistrate said that the court lacked the power to try the accused, who was arraigned over allegation of rape.

However, the law said one should be taken to the nearest court, that is why you are brought here pending when the police will conclude their investigations and send the case file to lawyers in the ministry of justice.

“The lawyers in the ministry of justice would go through the fact of the case as contained in the case file, if they find sufficient evidence, they will charge you to High Court.

“We would also transfer you to the High Court for trial to begin, on the contrary if no evidence is found, you will be discharged and the case be terminated”, the chief magistrate said.

He adjourned the case to Aug. 25, for further mention.

Earlier, NSCDC legal officer prosecuting the case, Yayayi Jauro, said that on July 1, the state social welfare office in Kakuri, Kaduna, reported the case of alleged sexual harassment and act of gross indecency against the Reverend.

Jauro said that Ma’aji was reported to have been unlawfully having sexual intercourse on several occasions with his underaged maid, who was entrusted to him by her uncle, at his residence in Barnawa, Kaduna, since 2015.

Jauro added that Ma’aji had been molesting the girl and requesting for sexual favours unjustifiably and had voluntarily confessed to have committed the crime during investigations.

“Medical reports from Gwamna Awan hospital here in Kaduna had also confirmed commission of the alleged offence”, Jauro said.

He said the offence contravened section 257, 260 and 262 of the Kaduna State penal code law of 2017.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a Non Governmental Organizations, Bridge that Gap Initiative, had reported the matter to the state Ministry for Human Services and Social Development, requesting it to closely monitor the case.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

Terrorists did not enter church in Onitsha, Anambra – Police

Terrorists did not enter church in Onitsha, Anambra – Police

Mixed reactions as Femi Otedola endorses Tinubu

Mixed reactions as Femi Otedola endorses Tinubu

V-C urges FG to take steps to end ASUU strike

V-C urges FG to take steps to end ASUU strike

NYSC D-G warns youth corps members against local politics

NYSC D-G warns youth corps members against local politics

1 million Nigerians to be recruited for 2023 census

1 million Nigerians to be recruited for 2023 census

Insecurity: FG seeks further cooperation of states on ranching

Insecurity: FG seeks further cooperation of states on ranching

It is time for our looted artefacts to return home – FG to Britain

It is time for our looted artefacts to return home – FG to Britain

2023: Sani picks El-Rufai’s deputy, Balarabe, as running mate

2023: Sani picks El-Rufai’s deputy, Balarabe, as running mate

Lagos residents consume N4.5bn food daily – Sanwo-Olu

Lagos residents consume N4.5bn food daily – Sanwo-Olu