Naomi Campbell breaks barriers as she becomes the first black woman to receive the Fashion Icon Award
Supermodel, Naomi Campbell is breaking barriers, and we're here for it.
On Monday, December 2, the British Fashion Awards 2019 held at the Royal Albert Hall, Kensington London. The British supermodel was presented with the night's top prize, Fashion Icon, during the star-studded ceremony.
The 49-year-old model accepted the prestigious award with an emotional speech as she broke down into tears.
“I learned today that I’m the first woman of color to receive this award,” she said from behind the podium, calling it an “out-of-body experience.”
Acknowledging the major achievement, she went on to list some of her style icons, which included A-listers such as Grace Jones, Josephine Baker, Diana Ross, Janet Jackson, Tina Turner, and many others.
She also went on to thank her mother, Valerie who was there as the model’s date. “You raised me single-handedly, you were my mother and my father.”
To conclude, Naomi Campbell said, “I could go on and on, but I want to thank you for paving the way for me and inspiring a generation.”
The fashion icon who was first discovered at 15, near London's Covent Garden was honored last night for her contribution to the fashion industry and her impressive career, as well as her philanthropic work.
- Naomi Campbell breaks down in tears as she receives Fashion Icon Award
- British Fashion Icon Award 2019: Naomi Campbell becomes first black woman to win it
- British Fashion Icon Award 2019: Naomi Campbell
- British Fashion Icon Award 2019: Naomi Campbell becomes first black woman to fashion icon award
- Naomi Campbell becomes first black woman to fashion icon award
- Naomi Campbell and Fashion Icon awards
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: