Dasuki Ex-NSA can't remember anything about deal with Metuh

Dasuki asked the court for time to go through available documents and records on the case.

  • Published: , Refreshed:
Former national security adviser Sambo Dasuki (R) allegedly oversaw a sprawling embezzlement scheme that saw "phantom contracts" awarded for personal gain, as under-equipped troops fought better-armed militants play Sambo Dasuki (AFP/File)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, requested for more time to refresh his memory after he appeared in court as a witness in the money laundering trial of former National Publicity Secretary of the People's Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olisa Metuh, on Wednesday, November 1, 2017.

After Justice Okon Abang dismissed Dasuki's application to dismiss a subpoena filed by Metuh's legal team, the imprisoned former NSA was escorted to Wednesday's hearing by operatives of the Department of State Service (DSS).

His counsel, Mr. Ahmed Raji (SAN), initially requested that the former NSA be excused from testifying until he has had access to "relevant files, records and documents required to refresh his memory of any decisions or actions he took or authorised in the course of his duties."

Raji made a request to the court to give Dasuki time to go through available documents and records on the case while a motion filed before the Court of Appeal against the subpoena is entertained on November 13.

Justice Abang turned down the motion for adjournment and asked Dasuki into the witness box where he was questioned by Metuh's counsel, Mr Emeka Etiaba (SAN).

Dasuki told the court that he could not remember if he had any dealings with Metuh in 2014 unless the court allows him time to consult his records.

He further asked the court to compel the DSS, who have been holding him in detention since 2015, to release him on bail so that he can access the documents.

He said, "It will be difficult for me to remember without reference to my records, details of any monies paid to Metuh or Destra Nig. Ltd. (the second defendant in the matter) in 2014 as three years is a long time.

"I am unable to answer any questions in regards to his charge without consulting my records.

"I stated earlier that I have been in custody so it is only when the authorities holding me decide to obey the three bail orders granted by three different courts and one ECOWAS court judgement asking that I be released and release me, I do not know."

While the defence team didn't object to Raji's motion for adjournment, the prosecution counsel, Sylvanus Tahir begged the court to dismiss it.

He said some of the documents needed to be used to cross examine the witness such as the e-payment mandate were in the court's records as they had already been tendered as exhibits.

Justice Abang adjourned the case until Friday, November 3, to rule on Dasuki's application for adjournment.

ALSO READ: Jonathan asks Metuh for N1b to appear as witness in fraud trial

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is prosecuting Metuh and his company, Destra Investments Limited, on a seven-count charge bordering on fraud and money laundering.

The alleged offence involved $2 million and N400 million which the defendant allegedly received from Dasuki's office in 2014.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.