A 14-year-old boy is being held in the UK connection with an alleged terror plot at a World War One centenary event in Australia, BBC reports.
14-yr old boy held over alleged terror plot
According to Greater Manchester Police, the Blackburn, Australian native was arrested on 2nd April on suspicion of preparing for an act of terrorism.
According to Greater Manchester Police, the Blackburn, Australian native was arrested on 2nd April on suspicion of preparing for an act of terrorism, saying they had uncovered a "credible terrorist threat".
Meanwhile, Australian police confirmed it was linked to the arrest of five teenagers in Melbourne over alleged plans to target police at an Anzac memorial.
In a joint statement, Victoria Police and the Australian Federal Police said they "can confirm a link between the arrest of a 14-year-old boy in Blackburn, , in the United Kingdom on Saturday with Operation Rising, a Joint Counter Terrorism Team operation."
Greater Manchester Police said the 14-year-old was arrested after the North West Counter Terrorism Unit (NWCTU) and officers from Lancashire Constabulary searched an address in Blackburn under warrant and examined a number of electronic devices.
Further investigations then uncovered communication between a teenager in Blackburn and a man in Australia.
Detective Chief Superintendent Tony Mole, from the NWCTU assurd the public that no imminent attack had been uncovered and there was no immediate threat towards the communities of Lancashire, the North West and the UK.
He further urged communities and families to bring to their attention "anyone they perceive may be vulnerable or in danger of escalating towards terrorism".
The discovery came ahead of the Anzac Day which honours Australian and New Zealand soldiers who have died in war, with services held in Westminster and Hyde Park in central London on the 25th of April each year.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: