7 interesting facts to know about UI as the institution turns 70
The first and oldest university in Nigeria has produced over 200k graduates.
On Saturday, November 17, 2018, the first and oldest university in Nigeria will be 70-year-old.
Established in 1948 and located in the capital city of Ibadan, UI, as the institution is fondly referred to, is the mother of all universities in Nigeria. The school has over the years been a veritable training ground for thousands of professionals that run other institutions.
According to Prof Abel Idowu Olayinka, the Vice Chancellor of the institution, the premier university has produced over
Irrespective of where you graduate from, the University of Ibadan is that academic institution every Nigerian needs to know something about.
Here are some interesting facts you should know about the great University of Ibadan.
1. The premier university that now boasts of 35,000 students according to Wikipedia started with just 104 students.
2. UI is the first Nigerian institution to make the top 1000 in Times Higher Education rankings.
3. The University's History Department did not produce a first-class graduate until 69 years after its establishment.
4. All Nigerian Universities were established after the country gained Independence, UI is the only university founded before Nigeria became independent in 1960.
5. Kenneth Dike is the first indigenous Vice Chancellor of the University of Ibadan, the University Library is named after him.
6. In its 70 years of existence, the University of Ibadan has got only 13 Vice Chancellor.
7. UI started with only three faculties which are Arts, Science, and Medicine.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: