17 things the Bible says about the power in your tongue
Proverbs 12:18 - "There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."
Proverbs 18:21 confirms this by saying, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits."
This is further seen in Matthew 18:18, which proclaims, "Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
These verses prove how much good or bad our tongues, words can do.
ALSO READ: Your words are more powerful than you think
This power and responsibility is discussed several times in the Bible.
Here are 17 things the Bible says about using, and the repercussions of misusing this power.
1. Proverbs 13:3; “Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin."
2. Ephesians 4:29; "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."
3. Proverbs 18:19; "A brother who has been insulted is harder to win back than a walled city, and arguments separate people like the barred gates of a palace."
4. Proverbs 10:20; "The words of a good person are like pure silver, but an evil person’s thoughts are worth very little."
5. Proverbs 26:20; "Without wood, a fire will go out, and without gossip, quarreling will stop."
6. Proverbs 11:17; “Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel.”
7. 1 Peter 3:9; "Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."
8. Proverbs 16:24; “Kind words are like honey – sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.”
9. Matthew 15:18; "But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person."
10. Matthew 12:36; "I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak."
11. Matthew 12:37; "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
12. Colossians 3:8; "But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth."
13. James 1:26; "If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless."
14. James 3:3-6; When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."
15. James 3: 9-12; "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."
16. Proverbs 29:20; "Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him."
17. Colossians 4:6; "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: