Boko Haram 101 Dapchi Girls confirmed freed - Presidency

The girls are still being documented to ascertain the number freed by Boko Haram.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Federal Government has confirmed that 101 out of the abducted 110 schoolgirls abducted last month by Boko Haram in Dapchi, Yobe, have been confirmed to be free.

This was disclosed by President Muhammadu Buhari's Personal Assistant on New Media, Bashir Ahmad, on his official Twitter account, (@BashirAhmaad) on Wednesday, March 21, 2018.

Rescued Dapchi school girls taken to Maiduguri play

Signpost at Government Girls Science and Technical Secondary School in Dapchi, Bursari Local Government Area of Yobe State where 110 schoolgirls were abducted by terrorist group, Boko Haram, on Monday, February 19, 2018

(Twitter/@BashirAhmaad)

 

He posted, "UPDATE: 101 of the 110 abducted Dapchi schoolgirls have been confirmed release and documented so far, the number of the girls would be updated after the remaining ones have been documented."

 

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, had earlier issued updates where he initially said 76 had been documented, before updating it to 91 girls and one boy.

During the last update, he said, As of now, I can confirm that 91 girls and 1 boy have been released. I  could say it's a development. Many of the children that were released were not dropped in one place - they were dropped on the road. They went back, naturally, to their parents houses and are now being asked to come and be documented at the centre."

He had earlier revealed that the girls were released around 3 am through back-channel efforts and with the help of some friends of the country, and that it was unconditional.

He said, "For the release to work, the government had a clear understanding that violence and confrontation would not be the way out as it could endanger the lives of the girls, hence a non-violent approach was the preferred option.

''Within the period when the girls were being brought back, operational pause was observed in certain areas to ensure free passage and also that lives were not lost."

He said the number of the freed girls would be updated after the remaining ones have been documented.

Dapchi abduction

Boko Haram militants invaded Government Girls Science and Technical Secondary School in Dapchi, Bursari local government area of Yobe on Monday, February 19, 2018, and abducted 110 schoolgirls.

According to accounts by residents, the terrorists invaded the town around 7 pm in over 18 gun trucks mounted with high caliber weapons.

The abduction was a repeat of another Boko Haram attack that happened when militants invaded Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok and kidnapped 276 female students in April 2014.

After several escapes and releases, 112 of the girls remain in captivity of the deadly terrorist group.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.