Marriage isn't like a relationship between girlfriend and boyfriend, it can’t be easily dumped when troubles come to wreck your loving home.
It is a commitment between people to love one another and overcome the good and the bad that comes with it.
All marriages can survive all odds if only spouses could learn to stop fighting each other and tackle the problem.
Below is a list of 10 basic tips for a healthy marriage:
- There is no such a thing as perfect marriage: If you ever want to be in a marriage that won't fail, that will guarantee to stay by your side for life and be filled with unlimited love or give you so much pleasure that you will be in Heaven. Simply get married to a dream.
- Surround your marriage with people who help build and not break it: Avoid people who will weaken your resolve to be a good spouse. Instead, associate with folks who will encourage you.
- A soft and tender attitude builds a marriage: Words cut like a sharp sword, what you say and how you say it is important. Spouses speaking rudely towards one another is a lose-lose proposition. A gentle response helps better a conversation, shouting stirs up anger.
- Forgive and move forward: Forgiveness in a marriage is much needed because there is no perfect, things will go wrong and one needs to try and move on from situations than creating space for hatred.
- Be practical, don't think with emotions: How you feel and what you want are two different things. Emotions kill marriage, take a step back, fight the situation not your spouse. Always make a plan.
- Remember Love: Go back to the basics, to why you are together, what made you fall in love, love can better a marriage.
- Celebrate your union: Big or small celebrate your union, whether it's by going on vacation, spending quality time over dinner or having a party with family and friends. Special days and milestone in your marriage need to be highlighted.
- Remove 'I' from a marriage replace it with 'we': When you said "I do" to your spouse, you entered into new rules, its about 'we' now. Don't enter with individual baggage into a new marriage.
- Communication: The key to a happy and healthy marriage is communication, talk about issues, talk about anything and everything, text one another in the day when missing your spouse.
- Work at your marriage never underestimate intimacy: Now that you married do not enter comfort zone, it takes you no where. Don't stop making each other smile or impressing your spouse. Let the intimacy increase not decrease.