Pumpkin leaf (Ugu)is one of the commonly consumed dark green leafy vegetables in Nigeria and many of us in Nigeria have been eating Ugu without really realising the benefits.
This type of vegetable is so versatile and can be recognised as a cure to some of our illness if only we can look deep into its benefits.
Ugwu is bae (Google)
While many people prefer to cook it as a vegetable with all the condiments that help whet the appetite, some just boil and eat it plain like that or blend it into a shake.
See the following health benefits of Ugu:
1. Contains a healthy amount of vitamins.
2. Prevention of convulsion- the young leaves are sliced and mixed with salt and coconut water and then stored in a bottle for treatment of convulsion.
3. Lowers cholesterol- leaves have hypolipidemic effect and may be a useful therapy in hypercholesterolemia.
Ugwu protects the liver (Google)
4. Boosts fertility- a study shows that ugwu has the ability to regenerate testicular damage and increase spermatogenesis.
5. Protects the liver.
6. Has antibacterial effect.
7. Rich in iron and can be used to cure anaemia.
8. Can be used by nursing mothers to lactate properly.
9. Is good for diabetics as it has sugar reducing effects.
10. Increases blood volume, boosts the immune system and has a high protein content.