With the half-year mark approaching and the summer season set to kick off in full swing, there's no better time to embark on a vacation, and what's more relaxing than a beach holiday?
5 relaxing African island destinations you should consider visiting this summer
There are more than a few perks that a beach vacation offers including fun activities like snorkeling and scuba diving, not to mention the fact that it's great for mental health.
A new study done by the Michigan State University found that living in a location where you have the chance to see a lot of blue spaces, like a body of water, leads to lower levels of “psychological distress.”
With such numerous perks, there's no reason why one shouldn't consider a beach vacation and there are more than a few ideal destinations right here in Africa.
Here are 5 relaxing African island destinations you should consider visiting this summer.
1. Cape Verde: As a Nigerian, you need not bother with visa hassles with this island nation as it is a visa-free country. Located off the coast of West Africa, Cape Verde offers kite and wind surfing, snorkeling, rich island cuisine and ofcourse white, picturesque beaches to name a few.
2. Zanzibar: A holiday to Zanzibar can offer the best of both worlds - start off with a day or two exploring the city of Dar es Salam, Tanzania's capital city, and then hop on a ferry to Zanzibar which is off the coast of the Indian Ocean. Requiring a visa-on-arrival, Zanzibar offers all the perks one can expect from an island destination - tasty sea food, great cocktails and a handful of activities.
3. Seychelles: This island nation has made name as the ultimate honeymoon destination, but asides couples, singles, friends and family can also enjoy a fun holiday here with activities such as hiking, swimming, snorkeling and going on organised tours through the island. It is also home to Anse Lazio, Praslin Island which placed 4th on TripAdvisor's list of best beaches in the world.
4. Mauritius: Named as the best island destination in Africa, Mauritius is a gorgeous island that offers amongst the usually island activities, cooking classes.
5. Madagascar: This island country in the India Ocean is located off the Southern African coast. Nature lovers will be thrilled to know that it is a biodiversity hotspot and over 90% of its wildlife is found nowhere else on earth, making for great hiking activities.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: