ADVERTISEMENT

Beware, these 4 foods turn toxic in the refrigerator

These foods should never be seen inside a refrigerator.

Foods that should never be in the refrigerator [tasteofhome]

Modern technology has brought about refrigeration, which is a method of preserving food so it doesn’t spoil.

Dimple Jangda, an Ayurveda and gut health doctor shared on Instagram four food items that can become toxic when stored in the refrigerator.

They were rice, ginger, garlic and onions. Here’s why:.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a video, the National Health Service in the United Kingdom showed how refrigerating rice can lead to food poisoning. Rice should not be kept in the refrigerator for more than 24 hours.

Two hours is the ideal time to keep rice in the fridge. However, long-term storage in the fridge can increase the growth of certain moulds. Reheating rice multiple times also increases this risk.

Many people cut their onions in half and put the rest in the refrigerator. Don't refrigerate half-cut onions. Refrigeration can increase their starch content. While high-starch isn't inherently bad, some sources suggest it may put stress on your kidneys and pancreas. This is the advice of the National Onions Association (in the US) on storage and handling of onions

ADVERTISEMENT

It's best to store garlic unpeeled at room temperature. Refrigeration can promote mould growth. Eating mould may result in some nausea or stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhoea, respiratory problems, and liver damage. Storing garlic in the fridge also reduces the essential oils and nutrients in garlic and makes it less tasty.

Abby Snyder, Ph.D., assistant professor of food science at the Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences spoke to Prevention about what happens when you eat mould.

ADVERTISEMENT

Fresh ginger can be stored at room temperature for a short time or refrigerated in an airtight container for longer storage. Mould can grow on ginger easily in the refrigerator, and this has been linked to kidney and liver failure. The World Health Organisation warns against eating mouldy food since they have mycotoxins that can cause nausea, cramping, and vomiting.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.
ADVERTISEMENT

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng

Recommended articles

9 ways to deal with a petty boss in a professional way

9 ways to deal with a petty boss in a professional way

4 mistakes you should never make when attending a Ghanaian funeral

4 mistakes you should never make when attending a Ghanaian funeral

Good Mama detergent concludes fashion show, rewards customers with cash prizes

Good Mama detergent concludes fashion show, rewards customers with cash prizes

Famous airline introduces special facilities for women — the first in aviation history

Famous airline introduces special facilities for women — the first in aviation history

Why you must have a jar of flour next time you go to the beach

Why you must have a jar of flour next time you go to the beach

Why do brides wear white on their wedding day?

Why do brides wear white on their wedding day?

5 amazing things you didn’t know your body parts can do

5 amazing things you didn’t know your body parts can do

Why you should not use vaginal whitening creams

Why you should not use vaginal whitening creams

The best zodiac signs ranked - find out if you have a great personality

The best zodiac signs ranked - find out if you have a great personality

Inhaling balloon gas among youth: Dangers and consequences

Inhaling balloon gas among youth: Dangers and consequences

These 5 ingredients make Nigerian cakes sweeter than others

These 5 ingredients make Nigerian cakes sweeter than others

List of postal codes in Cross River State

List of postal codes in Cross River State

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT