Mosques and Islamic schools have been ordered by authorities to stop religious activities following suicide bombing attacks in northern Cameroon that have left at least 60 people dead.
Govt. orders closure of mosques, Islamic schools
Child beggars have also been ordered off the streets due to the latest trend of children being used as suicide bombers
Child beggars have also been ordered off the streets due to the latest trend of children being used as suicide bombers, including a 13-yr-old girl who was responsible for the bomb attack on Saturday evening, Associated Press (AP) reports.
While there have been no claims of responsibility, authorities have blamed the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram, which has pledged its allegiance to the Islamic State group and abducted hundreds of girls and young women.
The group’s leader has vowed to attack Cameroon because the Central African nation has aided neighbouring Nigeria in its fight to defeat the extremists.
In the latest attack inside Cameroun, at least 20 people were killed and another 85 wounded Saturday evening in the northern town of Maroua. The suicide bombing came just days after another attack there earlier in the week.
Governor Midjiyawa Bakari said he was implementing strict measures after stepped up security failed to thwart the second attack. Authorities believe the suicide bombers are coming from neighbouring Nigeria, and the governor has ordered “a census of all visitors in all neighbourhoods”.
"A curfew will also be in place from 8 pm until 6 am,” he said. The closures and restrictions have provoked some criticism.
“They should have better solutions to their problems. Why is that governor chasing the wrong horse?” asked 70-year-old Aladji Haman from the Maroua central mosque.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: