Bet you didn't know that the fifth wedding anniversary is called the 'wooden anniversary.'
And to remain happy in the marriage till its 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 30th, 50th and maybe 70th anniversary is what every couple hopes for... the kind of couple goals everyone sets.
Each one of these anniversaries have traditional names which influence the type of gifts partners get each other when the marriage reaches the milestones.
While the 25th [silver] and 50th [golden] are popular because of their significance, all the anniversaries in fact have a traditional name - right from the first to the 75th - if you and your partner last that long!
Below we list the wedding anniversaries and their traditional names. Don't forget, the name given to each one helps you determine the kind of gift you get a partner when the day comes.
1. The first wedding anniversary is 'Paper', and you might want to think about giving your husband or wife books if they like to read or maybe tickets to a show or a concert because, you know, they are made of paper!.
2. The second wedding anniversary is 'Cotton' and of course, a nice thing to wear would be just fine.
3. The third is 'Leather' and a beautiful handbag, purse or wallet, wristwatch should do here. Just make sure it’s in their favourite colour!
4.The fourth is celebrated with 'Flowers' and hey… you know just what to do!
5. The fifth wedding anniversary is 'Wooden.' Something carved from wood would be ideal on this occasion.
6. The sixth wedding anniversary is 'Iron’.
7. The seventh is 'Woollen', and a cardigan, sweater or anything made of wool will be just fine.
8. The eighth wedding anniversary is 'Bronze.'
9. The ninth, 'Copper.'
10. The 10th anniversary is 'Tin.'
11. Your 11th wedding anniversary is 'Steel' and for your wife, some amazing kitchen ware would be pleasing and absolutely delightful.
12. When you have been married for a dozen years, the anniversary is called the 'Silk' and some sexy lingerie is something you have to consider here. Spark up that romance!
13. The 13th anniversary is 'Lace' and for Nigerian couple, matching attires from this fabric is pretty appealing, isn’t it?
14. The 14th is 'Ivory' and of course this tradition was born in a time when the dangers to wildlife and cruelty of the process were not understood. We recommend that you either choose an item made to look like ivory or break with tradition this year.
15. The 15th wedding anniversary is 'Crystal' and jewelry, wine glasses and chandeliers for the home should do here.
16. The 20th wedding anniversary is 'China' and you could plan a trip to the country or just get the finest china for her. And of course, while having that celebratory dance, you absolutely have to play Chris Brown’s ‘fFine China’!
17. Your 25th is 'Silver' and recognised as the first really major milestone which is why it is pretty, pretty popular.
Silver products are boundless and you should have no problem getting one.
18. The 30th wedding anniversary is 'Pearl' and necklaces made from this have never sounded more ideal than now.
19. The 35th Wedding anniversary is 'Coral'. So how about a trip to Australia to see the Great Barrier Reef there?
20. The 40th is 'Ruby'.
21. The 45, 'Sapphire'.
22. The 50th wedding anniversary is 'Golden' and the most precious of all marriage milestones.
Something golden and beautiful would be amazing for your partner, alongside the pleasure of seeing your kids and their families gather round to celebrate how far your love has lasted and good you still look together regardless of time.
23. All 55th wedding anniversaries are known as the 'Emerald.'
24. The 60th is diamond and by the time you reach this milestone, you can congratulate yourselves for sharing a love so timeless and a bond so strong.
That in itself is worth more than diamonds, isn’t it?
25. And the legendary, rare 70th wedding anniversary is called the platinum anniversary.