A particular brand of Milk Of Magnesia became a common primer for ladies a while ago and was such a rave that some ladies will only prime with this off the counter drug turned beauty product! But here's why you shoud STOP
A particular brand of Milk Of Magnesia became a common primer for ladies a while ago. It was such a rave that some ladies will only prime with this off the counter drug turned beauty product.
Granted it works for most people as primer, leaving makeup in place endlessly but people soon got carried away with it (using it is almost addictive) and at the end of the day, the long term effect is 'horrible'.
According to Instagram user; Hilary Rodriguez-Taiwo a cosmetic chemist;
"Milk of Magnesia makes skin look better in the short term, but in the long run, it can damage your skin. The active ingredient in Milk of Magnesia is Magnesium Hydroxide which has the ability to absorb oils on the skin. This degreasing attribute is also enhanced by Sodium Hypochlorite, commonly known as bleach. So yes, it will stop the shining short term".
"NOW THE PROBLEM: The protective layer on the skin surface known as the 'acid mantle' has a mildly acidic pH (about 5.5) which allows the "good" bacteria that live on our skin to thrive and kill off the bad bacteria. When this acidic mantle is damaged, the bad bacteria can get past the skin’s defenses and harm it. Skin also becomes dry, prone to irritations, and even acne. Milk Of Magnesia has a PH of 10.5 (alkaline). This is way too high. If you use it regularly, it can do some serious damage to your skin and make it prone to infection".
Catch a video on how ladies use Milk of Magnesia as primer below.