Nothings beats well-manicured fingers. It spells elegance, sophistication and class all in one fell swoop.
More often than not though, many ladies have to resort to artificial nails to achieve the perfect set of nails. But the truth remains that there is an undeniable charm about natural well-manicured nails.
We however can't deny the fact that this isn't the easiest thing to pull off more so because of how easily natural nails chip or break off. But do you know there are steps you can take to protect your nails and make them grow stronger and longer?
Here are 5 easy steps you can try.
- File them properly: Filing your nails in a rounded, pointed shape is much more ideal than filing it square. Reason being that when its square it can easily catch on something which can cause the nail to rip and then break. So its important that you keep the sides of your nails well-rounded when you file them so they're less likely to break and then can grow longer.
- Don't expose them to chemicals: Things like soap and bleach can weaken the nails and cause them to break. So when doing your laundry and house chores, endeavour to wear gloves so as to keep your nails protected from the harsh chemicals in soaps, bleaches and detergents.
- Don't rip off nails: If your nail chips, do not rip it off. Rather, cut it neatly off or file the chipped bit away. When you rip the nails off, you put pressure on the cuticles which in turn can weaken the nails and cause them to break.
- Coat your nails: As much as possible, if your nails are not painted then simply coat them in good quality nail hardener. This keeps the nails hardened and less likely to break.
- Avoid cheap nail wear: If you're going to paint your nails, then its important you use the right product. Cheap nail polishes and remover can contain chemicals which weaken the nails and invariably leads them to break. Rather invest in quality nail wear and remover which promotes nail growth.
- Exercise the hands: Experts maintain that increased blood flow helps promote nail growth. So endeavour to keep the hands engaged with things like knitting7 which will improve blood circulation around the fingers and nails.
- Vitamin supplements: Minerals like calcium and silicon and also vitamin D,C and A are great for the nails. So you can either take vitamin supplements like Biotin or foods that are rich in calcium and vitamins like D,C and A to promote nail growth.