- Should you want to delete all of the Facebook messages in your Messenger inbox, you can do so in a few steps with a Google Chrome browser extension.
- The Delete All Messages extension available for Google Chrome makes emptying your Facebook inbox a foolproof task.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Pretty much everyone is on Facebook these days, and it's easy to see why. The social media network, which boasts over 2.1 billion users worldwide , is a simple way to keep in touch with old school classmates, colleagues, and friends and family who live far away.
Facebook's Messenger app is particularly handy, allowing for instant and private messaging with your contacts and other users you may not yet be connected to. But how do you get rid of all those messages when you're no longer in need of them?
Deleting all of your Facebook messages is easy to do, particularly when using the Delete All Messages extension for the Google Chrome browser.
If you want to clear your Facebook inbox quickly and simply, here's what you need to know about how to do it.
How to delete all of your Facebook Messages at once
1. Download and install the Google Chrome internet browser if you're not already using it.
2. Once installed, open Chrome and download the Delete All Messages browser extension from the Chrome web store. Installation is quick and easy, with on-screen prompts appearing to tell you everything you need to know.
3. Once Delete All Messages has been added to your browser, navigate to Facebook.com. You will notice that the extension's icon, which appears in your top menu bar and features the Facebook Messenger speech bubble logo with a small red X next to it, is illuminated, indicating that the extension has access to your Facebook data.
4. Go to your Facebook page.
5. Click on the Delete All Messages logo in the toolbar, at which point a pop-up will launch which reads "Open your messages." Click on this to launch your Facebook messages in a separate tab.
6. On your messages screen, you will see the Delete All Messages toolbar across the top of the screen, giving you the option to delete all messages or to delete selected messages only. If you want to clear your inbox, all you need to do is click "Delete All Messages."
7. The extension will launch a pop-up asking you to confirm that you do want to delete all messages. Click "OK" and your messages will be removed.
8. It should be noted that once you have deleted all of your messages, they will no longer exist within your Facebook account and you will be unable to restore them at any point, so be sure you no longer need them before deciding to delete. Local copies of your messages will still exist with the accounts of those you've messaged, however.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech :
- How to delete anything you've posted on Facebook, or hide posts by others
- How to delete Facebook messages on your computer or mobile device
- How to see who is following your Facebook profile or page
- How to save videos on Facebook to your phone or computer
- How to open and use the Terminal app on a Mac computer, with a few basic commands you can use to take control of your operating system
- How to allow pop-ups in a Google Chrome browser, from all websites or specific ones only
- How to restart your Mac computer in 4 different ways, including when it's frozen