- Both before and during the game, the Nuggets talked a bit of smack, directing shots at Lakers superstars Anthony Davis and LeBron James.
- Davis was the leading scorer of the game with 33 points to go with his 10 rebounds, while James had a triple-double of 32 points, 12 rebounds, and 14 assists.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
The Los Angeles Lakers beat the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday night in a battle between the two top teams in the Western Conference.
Before the game began, the Nuggets decided to do a bit of needling in the Lakers direction, posting images of Los Angeles center Anthony Davis and Nuggets center Nikola Joki.
"We just wanted to share some pictures of the best center in the NBA and Anthony Davis," the caption read.
Nothing wrong with a little jab at the opposition ahead of a big game! Just some light fun to get the home fans hyped. Davis and Joki are both All-Star centers, and their matchup would undoubtedly be one of the highlights of the game.
When the two teams finally tipped off, the Nuggets dominated early, working their way to a 31-23 lead after the first quarter. Near the start of the second quarter, Nuggets guard Monte Morris hit a three to extend Denver's lead to 45-32. After making his shot, he chirped a bit at LeBron, who had jumped out to contest his attempt.
It would prove to be a grave mistake.
As the above tweet explains, the Lakers went on a 25-8 run through the next seven minutes of action, and by halftime, held a 61-55 lead over the home team.
From there, the game stayed competitive throughout, with the Lakers eventually overpowering the Nuggets in overtime.
James finished the night with a triple-double, posting 32 points, 12 rebounds, and 14 assists, while Anthony Davis led all scorers with 33 points to go along with his 10 rebounds.
If there's any team more dangerous to play in the NBA than the Lakers right now, it's the Lakers when they're angry.
- Read more:
- The wild story of how Kobe Bryant nearly ended up with the Nets and several others teams in the legendary 1996 NBA draft
- Giannis Antetokounmpo roasted James Harden during the NBA All-Star draft 'I want somebody that's going to pass the ball'
- Nikola Jokic hit a bizarre, hilarious, one-legged game-winner a shot he invented while recovering from a sprained ankle