- Nearly 30% of the world's billionaire population in 2018 was concentrated in just 15 cities, according to Wealth-X's 2019 Billionaire Census report .
- Strong tech industries havefostered considerable wealth in several cities, from San Francisco to Shenzhen .
- A large share of the world's billionaire population lives in eastern Asia, which has six cities on the list.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Billionaires are increasingly becoming concentrated in a cluster of cities, according to Wealth-X's 2019 Billionaire Census report . The report analyzed data from Wealth-X's global database of more than one million records of the world's richest people.
According to its findings, nearly 30% of the world's billionaire population as of 2018 is concentrated in the 15 cities outlined below.The report also looked at how these billionaire populations grew or shrank compared to the previous year. Both country and city dynamics influenced wealth accumulation, according to the report.
Strong tech sectors are responsible for wealth accumulation in several cities, from San Francisco to Hangzhou and Shenzhen in China. A large share of the world's billionaire population reside in eastern Asia six Eastern Asian cities made the list. However, billionaires in many of those cities were impacted by negative stock market movements, according to the report.
Note that the number of billionaires gained or lost marks the increase or decrease in each city's billionaire population from 2017 to 2018.
- 10 things real-estate agents wish they could tell you but won't
- A 'notorious' San Francisco mansion abandoned by a tech exec and once inhabited by a squatter is on the market after a multimillion-dollar renovation. Take a look inside the $30 million 'mini-Versailles'
- Meet the billionaire behind iconic casinos like The Venetian and Marina Bay Sands, who's worth $37 billion, lives in a Vegas mansion, and has donated more than $25 million to Trump