- Jeff Bezos, the richest person in the world, is spending about $80 million on three adjacent New York City apartments , Katherine Clarke reported for The Wall Street Journal.
- The Amazon CEO was apartment hunting in the city back in April, days after the announcement of the finalization of his divorce from MacKenzie Bezos, The New York Post reported at the time.
- Bezos already owns four apartments in a historic building in Manhattan .
- Here's a look inside the ritzy Upper West Side building with views of Central Park.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Jeff Bezos, the richest person in the world, is spending about $80 million on three adjacent New York City apartments , Katherine Clarke reported for The Wall Street Journal.
The spread includes a three-story penthouse and the two units directly below it at 212 Fifth Avenue near Madison Square Park, according to The Journal. The deal will be the priciest real-estate transaction south of 42nd Street when it's finalized, appraiser Jonathan Miller told the Journal.
The Amazon CEO was reportedly apartment hunting in NYC back in April soon after the announcement of the finalization of his divorce from MacKenzie Bezos and was planning on spending about $60 million on a home in the city, The New York Post reported at the time.
But Bezos has already been a homeowner in New York City for years.
In 1999, he bought three condos in the Century building at 25 Central Park West in Manhattan's Upper West Side for $7.65 million, according to the Observer. He made the purchase under an LLC called Jetima from Tommy Mottola, the former Sony Music head. Bezos bought an additional unit for $5.3 million in 2012, making him the owner of four condos in the historic building.
The 32-story art deco building was built in 1931 and boasts a concierge, elevator attendants, and three separate entrances, as well as a prime location right next to Central Park.
Here's a look inside the building.
- Jeff Bezos is dropping $80 million on a set of 3 NYC apartments. Here's a look at the 6 other massive properties his family already owns, from a Seattle estate to a Texas ranch
- Most of those weird, twisting sides and gaping holes you see on skyscrapers aren't decorative here's what they actually do
- The Beverly Hills estate that Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt spent 3 years renovating before their divorce is for sale for $49 million. Here's a look inside the 4-bedroom home.