- An Australian family of eight commissioned one the largest campers in the world in order to explore Australia's most remote regions for months at a time.
- Designed by Australian luxury expedition vehicle manufacturer SLRV , it serves as a fully functioning house on wheels.
- Dubbed the Commander 8x8 , the vehicle is 40 feet long, two stories tall, and can sleep up to 10 people.
- SLRV did not disclose the final cost of the camper but previously estimated that the price would fall between $670,000 and $1,370,000.
An Australian family of eight is traveling around the wilds of Australia in a veritable mansion on wheels.
The family, who prefers to remain anonymous, contacted Australia's leading luxury expedition vehicle manufacturer, SLRV , a year and a half ago about designing a camper that would allow them explore the country's most remote regions for months on end, SLRV cofounder Warwick Boswerger told Business Insider. This was no small feat: Australia is home to some of the world's last true wilderness and is the driest inhabited continent on Earth , consisting of 70% arid or semi-arid land. But SLRV was up to the challenge. Boswerger and his team designed atwo-story, 40-foot long camper van that New Atlas describes as "apocalypse-grade" and ranks among the largest expedition vehicles in the world. Take a look inside:
- 15 things I learned about hotels and Airbnbs after traveling the world for a year
- A new Italian yacht concept is designed to look like a killer whale and can handle Arctic exploration and it highlights one of the biggest trends shaping luxury travel in the new decade
- A $150 million estate with an underground tunnel just shattered California's real-estate record. Here are the 15 most expensive homes sold in the US over the past decade.